Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick and satisfying, this stew is sure to please. Adapted from Southern Living
- 1 lb lean boneless pork, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 zucchini
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking rice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- monterey jack cheese
- Sauté pork cubes and onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven 5 minutes or until pork is lightly browned.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, and cut each half into thick slices.
- Add zucchini, 3 1/2 cups water, corn, salsa and taco seasoning to pork and onion in Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in quick rice.
- Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with condiments of your choice.
This was really good! I usually don't like pork but I was impressed. I did add more veggies, carrots, celery, and one red potatoe. Also added some cumin. An hour before we ate I added zucchini and 1/4 cup rice. All in the crockpot!!! Love that!!! Added chedder and cotija cheese on top with a dollop of sour cream. Will be making this again.
Tasty and filling. Very quick to make, too. I made this exactly as written. When it was done, I added more water because the rice soaked up almost all of the liquid. I garnished with shredded cheese and cilantro. Yum! I'll be making this again (with more water, of course). Thanx!
Wonderful find here as it is a quick meal with some of the flavors of a longer cooking stew. Loved the way the flavors of this came together from the chunks of pork, tomatoes and zucchini to the bits of corn. Everything was done perfectly and all at the right time. To make this a little more consistent with my WW Core diet, I prepared this using cubed pork loin trimmed and reduced the oil to just 1 tablespoon. I also used brown rice rather than white. The salsa selected was of the homemade variety as was the taco seasoning. I ended up only adding 1 cup of rice as 2 cups seemed like too much. This was a good decision here as the second cup would have absorbed all of the liquid making this more like a rice bowl than a stew. As this cooled, the stew did absorb all the liquid, so the leftovers were reheated with added chicken broth and additional salsa (see picture).