Rachie P's Note:
This is an amazingly tasty - and hearty soup that's easy to make. My mother-in-law got the recipe from a cookbook, and I've made a few changes. My DH loves it, especially served with cornbread or Pillsbury cornbread refrigerator twists. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa (your choice)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (13 ounce) canned chicken, drained (or turkey) or 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 3/4 lb small red new potato, sliced small
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup red green yellow, and orange bell pepper
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced at 1/8 in size
- 1 (19 ounce) can white navy beans or 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, if desired
- 1In a large, deep skillet, (or large sauce pan with wide base), saute green onions, potato, and garlic in oil until soft.
- 2Add all remaining ingredients except lime juice and peel.
- 3Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender.
- 5Stir in lime juice and peel, remove bay leaves. ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Mexican Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.5
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 727.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 16.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: