Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious, hearty salad that utilizes fresh veggies, herbs, and a good-for-you grain. I came up with this recipe just by chopping, dumping, and tasting. The prep time includes the overnight soak for the wheat berries and the cook time is the cook time for the berries. It's a great idea to have cooked and chilled wheat berries on hand. The active prep time is just the time it takes to chop and stir the ingredients. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 cup hard winter wheat berries
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced into 1/4 pieces
- 3 tablespoons red onions, finely chopped
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 -5 fresh lemon verbena leaves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place the wheat berries in a sauce pan and cover with 2 inches of water. Let sit at least overnight (I let sit for about 24 hours). Drain water and rinse wheat berries. Cover with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender. When wheat berries are as chewy as you like, remove from heat and drain. Rinse with cold water and set aside. Place cooled wheat berries in a large bowl and add the bell pepper, tomato, and onions. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice, zest, salt and olive oil and stir to combine. Add last 3 ingredients (basil, verbena, and feta) and give it a good stir. Adjust seasonings to your liking. Chill.
Great do ahead recipe. Once the wheat berries are done the rest is easy.