Recipe by the80srule
For us vegetarians who want the heartiness of a tater tot casserole without the hamburger or ground beef. I found a terrific tater tot casserole recipe on here-- which I altered a bit, then found some more tips on how to make this awesome, tasty, and cheap meal and also adjusted it to the pan size constraint. I couldn't use a real casserole dish because I live in the ghetto and don't have a real oven; I rely on a convection oven. So please note, this recipe's measures are based on using a deep (about 5") 2-quart loaf pan! It's so hearty and filling that I get at least 3-4 meals out of it for just me. But if you want to use a real 13 x 9 casserole dish because you're doing OAMC/OAWC or cooking for your family? Never fear, just double the amounts shown!
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can red kidney beans (pinto and dark red kidney beans work too)
- 2 -4 veggie burgers, patties chopped up (Boca Original or Classic isthe best! Dr. Praeger's California Burgers are great too. But the beans a)
- 5 1⁄4 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 5 1⁄4 ounces condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 cups French style green beans (this is a guesstimate, see instructions)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (Use shredded cheese. I like cheddarjack blend with this dish too!)
- 2 -3 cups tater tots (this is a guesstimate, see instructions on how many tater tots you'd really need)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Steam the green beans (if using frozen). Rinse and drain them if using canned. Just wash if using fresh. 2 cups is an estimate; I think I had a little over 2 cups because I wanted to use up the rest of a bag I had in the freezer. If you're making the large dish, I guess it'd be 3 cups?.
- If you're putting veggie burger in this, cook it in the skillet til nice and crispy. Chop into pieces. 2 patties would work for the small dish version, 4 for the large dish.
- Combine the two different soups together. Use half of the mixture if you're doing the loaf dish way, use the whole thing if using the 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Combine the beans and veggie burger together, and mix with the soup mixture. Put the mixture in the bottom of the ungreased baking dish.
- Layer the green beans over the cream soup/beans/veggie burger bits.
- Layer all the cheese on next.
- Figure out how many tater tots you need-- you have to adjust the amount depending on the dish size. I used about 1/3 of a 32-oz bag of frozen tots for my loaf dish version-- you might use a little over 1/2 the bag for the 13 x 9 version.
- Microwave the tots for 2 minutes-- or depending on your microwave strength, until they're defrosted but not "eating level" of warm.
- Layer the tots on the dish.
- If you like, top with some seasoned salt.
- Bake at 350 for 25-40 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy.