Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces red kidney beans (1 can;Rinse and drain the Kidney beans.)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (Tomatoes should be whole peeled tomatoes UNdrained and chopped.)
- 1 cup lentils, Rinsed & Drained
- 1 stalk celery (Celery stalk should be coarsely chopped.)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin, Ground
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, Crushed
- In large saucepan or stockpot, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Remove cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, an additional 30 minutes or until liquid is almost absorded and lentils are tender.
- Serve, if desired, over hot cooked brown or white rice and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
I have made this recipe many times for my family. My son is a vegitarian so this recipe fits him to a T. We usually eat it as a taco salad. We put it on lettuce, then add cheese, tomatoes, onions, taco sauce and sour cream for those that like it. We have made tacos with this recipe also. This recipe taste great. It makes a good replacement if you are trying to cut down on your beef intake. I'm sure if you try it, you'll enjoy it too.