1/1 Photo of Hearty Meatless Chili
1 hr 20 mins
A thick rich chili, where you won't miss the meat at all. I make double batches and freeze it for quick meals during the winter. The combination of veggies makes this taste so good. I usually puree all the veggies together to make a rich broth and and sneak the veggies in for unsuspecting kids. Try it. You'll like it. And it's easy on the budget.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or 3/4 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 maggi vegetarian vegetable flavor bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- sour cream (optional)
- 1COMBINE onion, bell pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2ADD tomatoes and juice, water, tomato paste, boullion, cilantro, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Stir in beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
- 3FOR FREEZE AHEAD:.
- 4PREPARE as above; do not top with sour cream. Cool chili completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- 5HEAT in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Meatless Chili
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.3
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 753.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 10.0 g