Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A thick rich chili, where you won't miss the meat at all. I make double batches and freeze it for quick meals during the winter. The combination of veggies makes this taste so good. I usually puree all the veggies together to make a rich broth and and sneak the veggies in for unsuspecting kids. Try it. You'll like it. And it's easy on the budget.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine or 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansrecipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 maggi vegetarian vegetable flavor bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- sour cream (optional)
- COMBINE onion, bell pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- ADD tomatoes and juice, water, tomato paste, boullion, cilantro, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Stir in beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
- FOR FREEZE AHEAD:.
- PREPARE as above; do not top with sour cream. Cool chili completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- HEAT in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream.
Excellent! Added more broth just to make a little more soup like. Topped with grated cheddar, minced onion and cilantro. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Where's the beef ? You don't miss it in this dish. I used the whole can of tomato paste to thicken it up more, which worked, and used red & white kidney beans, the red wine and added some red pepper flakes to zip it up a little. It's a "good for you" dish ...
I finally found a meatless vegetarian chili filled with flavor and a favorite of everyone I serve it too!