Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My DIL found this recipe online and made it when I was there. It is relatively quick to make and so good. Note: In the directions it refers to the trinity mix; that is the carrot, celery, and onion listed in the ingredients; 2 part onion, one part carrot and one part celery
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 93% lean ground beef, 7% fat
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces assorted fresh vegetables, diced (onions, celery and carrots)
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (32 ounce) box unsalted chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Chop garlic.
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, tomato pesto, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until blended.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs (about 25–30); wash hands.
- Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes.
- Place oil in pan; add meatballs (in batches).
- Cook and turn 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Remove meatballs from pan and set aside.
- Add trinity mix (onion, celery, carrots) and garlic to pan; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions soften.
- Add spinach; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cannellini beans, chicken stock, meatballs and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are 160 degrees Fahrenheit and soup is hot.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.