Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The perfect soup for a cold day!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme (beef broth)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 4 carrots, pared
- 1⁄4 cup celery top, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 10 peppercorns (or group black pepper)
- 1 cup okra, cut
- 4 -6 cups water
- 2 potatoes, diced
- With hands, lightly shape chuck into 1-inch balls. In a little hot oil in skillet, saute meatballs, turning until browned all over. Drain off fat.
- In a 6 quart sauce pan, add remaining ingredients and bring just to boiling.
- Reduce heat, and simmer covered 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up tomatoes.
- Serve very hot.