Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from a recipe note pad.
- 2 lbs boneless stewing beef, such as chuck, short-rib meat or 2 bottom round steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, with leaves finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pat dry stewing beef and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat in batches and brown on all sides, being careful not to crowd the pan. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a 4-5 quart slow cooker. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan (or add more if needed). Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add wine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to release the borrowed bits in the skillet. Pour into the slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes.
- Cover and turn the slow cooker to the low setting. Cook, without opening the lid, until the meat is very tender, 6-7 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.