One of my family's favorite meals, I make this classic Italian casserole using a blend of Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina, and Romano cheeses. Enjoy!
- 12 extra-wide lasagna noodles (10+ ounces)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2-1 lb fresh mushrooms (sliced and sauteed in butter)
- 1 (26 ounce) jarthick spaghetti sauce (Your favorite!)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 10 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend
- Cook and drain noodles as directed on package; rinse with hot water and drain.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook ground beef and Italian sausage until done; drain then add mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, and tomato sauce; simmer 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, blend egg and ricotta.
- In the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan, spread layers of 1/3 of the sauce, then 1/3 of the lasagne noodles, then 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, and then 1/3 of the shredded cheese; repeat layers twice.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 375° for 20 minutes; uncover and bake another 20 minutes; remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- NOTE: You can get by using 9 lasagne noodles, but I use 12 because I like to overlap them a bit ~ You also may vary the meats and use 1 pound sausage with 3/4 pound beef or whatever combination your family likes.
My Italian hubby loves this...he says it's better than his moms ;-). I usually end up using twice as much sauce and the no boil lasagna. Oh yes and minus mushrooms...personal preference.