Cook1 hr 45 mins
This is a nice meat and potato dish for those cold winter nights. And it is a casserole even the pickiest of men will eat.
- 3 tablespoons bob's red-mill gluten-free all purpose baking flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (with milk and butter)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place gluten-free flour, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Add beef cubes and toss to coat.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the beef in olive oil.
- Place beef and pan drippings in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Add to the skillet the water, beef broth, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary; bring all to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms.
- Pour broth mixture over the meat and mix well.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Remove from the oven and spread mashed potatoes over the top of the beef.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional herbs if desired. Bake 15-20 minutes longer.