Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This bread is awesome toasted or for hearty sandwiches. I frequently put the ingredients in the bread machine the night before, set the timer and wake up to a fresh hot loaf.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (or honey and molasses can be combined to equal this amount)
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat gluten
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
optional add ins
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- Load all of the above ingredients in order wet to dry into bread machine.
- Press go.
I have been in a baking mood and have been meaning to make this. Wish I had made this sooner. This is hearty and dark very good. I did add one of the optionals. If you ever use sunflower seeds, be sure you use sunflower kernels with the hulls removed. I didn't and the pieces of hulls never softned so I felt that I was picking twigs out of my bread. But that was my fault. Will be making this for my freezer.