Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
good hearty winter day soup from Becel
- 2 teaspoons light margarine (Becel)
- 1 small onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 cups broccoli, cut into pieces
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed, unpealed, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat margarine over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until softened.
- Stir in broccoli and potatoes and saute 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Use a hand blender, food processor or traditional blender to puree the soup, in batches if necessary, until it is smooth.
- Return to the pan and heat through.
- Variation: Substitute cauliflower celeriac, squash or a combination of these veggies.
Very flavourful and healthy. I will certainly make this again. It is also very filling.
WONDERFUL!!! I elected to use a potato masher instead of blending the soup. It was SOOO good that I had it for dinner last night and lunch today! Thanks!!!
Extremely easy to make. Delicious. Four stars only because I need to leave room at the very top for the very best. I will make this frequently. Leave a few florets aside to decorate the top upon serving, and/or swirl in a little cream. Only a little, tho'!