1/1 Photo of Hearty Lentil Soup With Spinach - Vegetarian Version
1 hr 15 mins
Chef #698258's Note:
I usually make this with bacon, but I can't eat meat on my current restricted diet, so I've tossed that smoky slab and added some other stuff! I've also almost doubled the original amounts of original recipe - I can't make small batches of soup! I pack it up in plastic containers and take them to work. *Please note that preparation time may vary. I'm a slow chopper and I accounted for that in the given time below!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml olive oil (or thereabouts)
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped medium
- 4 celery ribs, chopped medium
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 (822.13 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large bay leaf
- 9.85 ml minced fresh thyme leaves
- 473.18 ml lentils
- 2.46 ml salt
- ground black pepper
- 1892.72 ml vegetable broth
- 709.77 ml water
- 226.79 g spinach, baby whole or 226.79 g regular spinach, chopped
- 1Heat olive oil at medium-high heat.
- 2Add onions, carrots and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften (4-8 minutes).
- 3Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
- 4Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme; cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
- 5Stir in lentils, salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until vegetables are softened and lentils have darkened *7-10 minutes).
- 7Uncover, add vegetable broth and water.
- 8Bring to a boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to low.
- 9Simmer until lentils are tender but not mushy (30-35 minutes).
- 10Discard bay leaf.
- 11Puree 3 cups soup in blender until smooth, then return puree to pot.
- 12Stir in spinach until wilted.
- 13Serve! (or place in plastic containers for work!).
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Lentil Soup With Spinach - Vegetarian Version
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 215.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: