Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful soup that is hearty enough to eat as a meal or just a meal starter. It's a great vegetarian dish as well. Even my very picky 3yr old likes this soup!
- 3 -4 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup bacon (optional, I use imitation bacon) (optional) or 1 cup ham (optional, I use imitation bacon) (optional)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 -6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 1⁄2 lb farfalle pasta (bowtie pasta)
- Heat large pan over med/low heat. Pour in olive oil, garlic & bacon/ham. Cook long enough to heat up garlic and bacon/ham. Pour in chicken broth, tomato sauce, 3-4c of the water, lentils, carrots & celery. Bring to a boil & simmer for about 30 minute Add farfalle and more water as needed. Cook until farfalle is tender.
- Ladle into bowls and serve. Top with cheese if desired.