Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A thick and spicy lentil soup
- 22.18 ml butter
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalk celery, chipped
- 3 (1275.72 g) can low sodium chicken broth (or, 2 cans broth, 1 can water)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 453.59 g lentils
- 6 slice chopped uncooked bacon
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml crushed dried thyme
- 2.46 ml crushed dried fennel
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- Melt butter, sauté minced garlic and onion.
- Add celery and carrot, sauté another few minutes.
- Add broth, rinsed/drained lentils, and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add bacon and spices.
- Cook 30-40 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
This is wonderful! The cinnamon and cloves added such a delicious twist.....I thought I wasn't a lentil fan, but this soup has changed my mind. I absolutely loved it. Like the previous reviewer, I had to add more liquid. Made for my adopted chef from PAC. Thanks for the great recipe! Saving to my keeper book.
This is a very good soup! I made it as written except I needed to add more liquid as it cooked. Thick and hearty and perfect for a sub-zero night. I served it with a spinach salad and breadsticks. Thanks for sharing!