A thick and spicy lentil soup
Make and share this Hearty Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 large white onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chipped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth (or, 2 cans broth, 1 can water)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb lentils
- 6 slices chopped uncooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- Melt butter, sauté minced garlic and onion.
- Add celery and carrot, sauté another few minutes.
- Add broth, rinsed/drained lentils, and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add bacon and spices.
- Cook 30-40 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
This is wonderful! The cinnamon and cloves added such a delicious twist.....I thought I wasn't a lentil fan, but this soup has changed my mind. I absolutely loved it. Like the previous reviewer, I had to add more liquid. Made for my adopted chef from PAC. Thanks for the great recipe! Saving to my keeper book.
This is a very good soup! I made it as written except I needed to add more liquid as it cooked. Thick and hearty and perfect for a sub-zero night. I served it with a spinach salad and breadsticks. Thanks for sharing!