Recipe by jovigirl
This is a great dish for Fall/Winter evenings. Comes from a super market flyer. (Easy to freeze)
- 1⁄2 lb ground sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, cut up
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dry lentils
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-qt Dutch oven, cook sausage until cooked through. Remove sausage, drain fat.
- Add beef, onion and green pepper to Dutch oven; cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in sausage, chili powder, bouillon granules, cumin and oregano.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Rinse lentils.
- Stir lentils into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 30 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese if desired.