Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is a quick to make and substantial to eat. Just the job for Winter days. It is based on a recipe published long ago by the english Cranks restaurants. If you like a chunky soup then serve as cooked, but if you like your soups smoother then blitz it in a blender or food processor.
- 1 small onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2⁄3 cup red lentil
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Chop the onion Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion until transparent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- For a slightly smoother soup, allow it to cool slightly then blitz it in a blender or food processor, then reheat.
- Serve the soup with chunky wholemeal bread if you want a meal in a dish!
the BEST EVER lentil soup recipe from the first original Cranks cookbook! Fantastic not only in taste but the ingredients list is ALWAYS found in someone else's kitchen, as long as they have LENTILS!
Very good and hearty dinner, when you need something quick. I added some sliced fresh mushrooms, which worked well, and I used some fresh tomatoes as well. Definitely a keeper recipe