Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Simple to make and delicious!
Make and share this Hearty Lentil and Ham Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 leftover smoked ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 lb lentils, picked over and rinsed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 3 onions, chopped coarse
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 8 cups water
- In a 6- to 8-quart kettle combine all ingredients and simmer soup, covered partially, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and cinnamon stick and remove meat from bone or hocks.
- Chop meat and stir into soup.
I increased the beef broth to 4 cups and used 10 cups water, 2 bay leaves, and about 1 lb mushrooms. This soup was excellent. The cinnamon stick was a nice touch. Soup was thick and rich and we really enjoyed it. Thanks Bev for another keeper.
This was a wonderful smelling soup while simmering on the stove. We could hardly wait to give it a try. My husband and I were very impressed with the flavor and I agree with the other reviewer, the cinnamon is a nice touch. Thank you for a great recipe.
Yummy! Nutrition at it's best. My wife made me make it two weeks in a row. Even my kids loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.