Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe will feed 3-4 people, it can easily be doubled, and is best if prepared a day ahead, refrigerated and warmed the following day. I have made this stew many times, it is wonderful! Serve with hot cooked egg noodles. I like to add in some frozen peas also.
Top Review by Mrs.Freeman
I halved the crushed red pepper. Very good with mashed potatoes. Might add green beans next time. I actually made it with Ram instead of Lamb, but the taste was very comparable.
- 2 lbs lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup port wine (or use dry red wine, can use more)
- 4 large thick carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 lb button mushroom (can use more or less)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Mix the flour with seasoning salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Toss the lamb in the flour to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
- Add in half of the floured lamb, and brown well on all sides, repeat the the remaining lamb; transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Add in more olive oil if necessary to the pot; add in onions, red bell peppers, red pepper flakes and bay leaves; saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and tomato paste; saute for 2 minute more stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Return the lamb back to the pot.
- Add in broth, port or red wine and mushrooms; bring to a boil stirring with wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer about 45-50 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add in the carrots, simmer UNCOVERED for another 25-30 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender and the sauce has thickened slightly, season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove the bay leaves, ladle into bowls.