1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This stew is very flavorful -- I get compliments every time I serve it. Whenever I make a pot, I always put at least one serving in the freezer to enjoy on a cold winter evening. The recipe was adapted from Maryana Vollstedt's "The Big Book of Soups & Stews." You can also use beef or veal in this recipe, but I prefer lamb because it is more flavorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 lb lamb, stew cut into small bite-sized piece
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 4 garlic cloves (pressed or minced)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 -1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup diced potato
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch piece
- 6 -8 ounces cremini mushrooms or 6 -8 ounces white mushrooms, cut in half
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1Fry two slices of bacon, then set aside bacon and drippings.
- 2In a large bowl, add flour, dried thyme, oregano, basil, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- 3Add pieces of lamb to mixture and coat.
- 4In a Dutch oven, warm one tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- 5Add one half of lamb/flour/herbs mixture and brown meat, then set aside.
- 6Repeat previous step with second half of lamb/flour/herbs mixture.
- 7Return all browned lamb to dutch oven.
- 8Crumble fried bacon into dutch oven and add bacon drippings, onion, carrot, and garlic.
- 9Sauté for 2 minutes.
- 10Add wine, stock, rosemary and bay leaf.
- 11Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 12Remove rosemary and bay leaf.
- 13Add potato, bell pepper, mushrooms, peas, and corn.
- 14Re-cover and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- 15Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Lamb and Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.7
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 544.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: