Recipe by Pikake21
A hearty and tasty soup, using Kim Chee. From "Dok Sunni: Recipes from My Mother's Korean Kitchen"
Top Review by sprout 13
This is a wonderful and easy version of kim chee tofu soup. I was out of scallions, so sauteed half an onion with the garlic. I also skipped the pork, added some crushed red chili for extra heat, and finished it off with a drizzle of sesame oil and a raw egg stirred into it. The end result was really close to the "soon dubu" soup you get in a Korean restaurant. Obviously the kim chee flavor dominates, so use the tastiest you can find. I'd also recommend using soft silken for the tofu.
- 1 lb kim chee, in 1-inch squares
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 7 ounces pork, sliced thin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 cup kim chee juice (from kim chee)
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces tofu, in cubes
- 4 ounces scallions, in 1-inch pieces