Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
On a cold winter day, there is nothing better than a bowl of hot cereal to keep you warm. I love to make this cereal because its quick, tastes great, and will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- 1 5⁄8 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice concentrate
- 2⁄3 cup dried kasha
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup dried apple (chopped into 1/4-inch pieces)
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg (gluten free egg replacer)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a saucepan, combine water, apple concentrate, milk, and egg. Beat until combined.
- Add the kasha, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, and chopped dried apples.
- Bring to a boil, and hold their for ten minutes. Stir constantly to keep kasha from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The cereal will have the consistency of oatmeal when it's done.
- If you prefer to use a fresh apple, then use only 1/2 cup apple concentrate.
- If you don't like apples, then replace the dried apples with raisins or dates, and the apple concentrate with 1/2 cup milk.
- If the cereal is to sweet, then cut the brown sugar measurement in half.
I absolutely love this recipe. Nice change for a breakfast dish. I would definetely recommend this recipe. I love the nutty smell while cooking. No one else in my family likes the smell or taste but I don't care!!!! Definetely a keeper for me. I prepared it at night and then warm up about one cup of the cereal in the morning, put in the microwave and it is good to go.