Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful stew that'll warm you up and stick to your ribs! Perfect comfort food for the winter. Excellent served with crusty bread! This is my take on a Giada de Laurentiis recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Saute onions, celery, garlic and carrots in olive oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, salt, pepper, thyme, basil, bay leaf, tomato paste, kidney beans, and chicken broth to pot.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Don't forget to discard bay leaf before serving!
Tried this soup for dinner this evening--YUMMY! Great flavors-I didn't have fresh basil, so I used dried, and it still turned out delicious. I might use a little less salt next time, but other than that, I loved it, and will definitely make it again. Thanks for posting!