Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
My friend gave me this recipe years ago (thanks Debbie). You can really switch it up to suit your own taste. My husband and kids beg me to make it. It makes LOTS. Very filling.
- 1 3⁄8 liters tomato juice
- 1 (796 ml) canof herb crushed tomatoes
- 2 3⁄4 liters chicken broth (save the tomato juice can and fill it twice with water using 2 chicken oxo or chicken broth)
- 1 medium onion
- 6 hot Italian sausages
- 12 -15 meatballs
- 2 cups small shell pasta
- 1 (350 g) package fresh tortellini (I prefer the cheese filled rainbow tortellini)
- 1 (475 g) containerfresh soft ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Italian spices, to taste. (I use oregano, and basil)
- salt and pepper
- I make this in a large 12 cup stock pot.
- Remove the casing from the sausages.
- tear in small pieces and fry with a small amount of olive oil.
- Cook 3/4 of the way through.
- Do the same with the meatballs unless you are using frozen precooked ones.
- Add in the diced onion once the sausage has started to fry.
- Set aside.
- In the stock pot add all the tomato juice, tomatoes,chicken stock,garlic and spices.
- Add in the sausages, onions and meat balls.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours tasting and adding your own herbs and salt and pepper to your liking.
- Add in the pasta shells and tortellini.
- Add in the tub of ricotta cheese stirring thoroughly.
- cook for approx 10 minutes.
- serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.