Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from my mom and is very yummy! Add whatever seasonings or additional vegetables (such as potatoes or celery, etc.) that you like.
- 1 lb Italian sausage or 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes or 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans or 15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup small macaroni noodles or 3⁄4 cup shell macaroni
- shredded cheese (optional)
- italian seasoning
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, brown sausage, onions and peppers. Drain off any liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients (except macaroni and cheese), cover and simmer for 15-30 minutes.
- Add macaroni and cook 10-12 minutes.
- To serve, top with shredded cheese, if desired.
Hearty is definitely the word for this! I would actually call it more of a stew than a soup as the noodles really thicken it up. I used turkey Italian sausage to help make this a healthy, one-pot weeknight meal. Thank you for posting. Reviewed for ZWT - 7.