This simple, hearty stew is serious comfort food. It is best with good quality sausage, as it provides the seasoning. Garnish with a 50/50 mix of Pecorino Romano and Parmesan cheese for even more flavor.
- 1 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, any variety, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- salt and pepper
- grated pecorino romano cheese, and or parmesan cheese, as garnish
- Brown Italian sausage over medium heat in a soup pot and drain.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and carrots.
- Cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, kidney beans and 1/2 a can of white beans.
- Mash remaining white beans and add.
- Simmer 10-20 minutes.
- Add macaroni and cook until tender, usually about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with Pecorino Romano and/or Parmesan cheese.
I made this exactly as posted, using shell pasta, which is what I had on hand. It was hearty and delicious, Made for Spring PAC 2014.