This blend of vegetables with Italian sausage will be sure to warm you up on a crisp winter night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced quartered lengthwise
- 1 small eggplant, 1-inch cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup portabella mushroom
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1Heat olive oil in large pot, and saute onion.
- 2Remove casings from Italian sausage and cut up into 1 inch pieces, add to pan.
- 3Cook sausage until brown about 10 minutes, remove from pan and drain half the fat.
- 4Add the zucchini, squash, eggplant, red pepper, mushrooms and salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, and sausage to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium/low - low to a simmer for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through.
- 7Stir in fresh basil in last 5 minutes.
- 8You can reduce the fat and calories by using a turkey based sausage, or make this a vegetarian dish by using a soy/tofu sausage or even garbanzo beans.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Italian Ratatouille Soup
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.9
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 1274.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 15.7 g