Recipe by Sarah_Star
This blend of vegetables with Italian sausage will be sure to warm you up on a crisp winter night.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Superb soup. I love that it is full of chunky vegetables and the Italian sausage imparts divine flavor (and smell). Also, the fresh basil at the end is a great touch. Goes perfectly with hot crusty bread. Thanks for sharing this one.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced quartered lengthwise
- 1 small eggplant, 1-inch cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup portabella mushroom
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large pot, and saute onion.
- Remove casings from Italian sausage and cut up into 1 inch pieces, add to pan.
- Cook sausage until brown about 10 minutes, remove from pan and drain half the fat.
- Add the zucchini, squash, eggplant, red pepper, mushrooms and salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, and sausage to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium/low - low to a simmer for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through.
- Stir in fresh basil in last 5 minutes.
- You can reduce the fat and calories by using a turkey based sausage, or make this a vegetarian dish by using a soy/tofu sausage or even garbanzo beans.