Recipe by DaHomeCooker
A hearty chicken soup good for cold weather. This is a scratch recipe of my own creation. Can be done in a crock pot
Top Review by Kathy C's Recipes
I used canned veggies, and added White beans, also 1 48 oz V-8 juice and for the tomatoes, I used roasted garlic tomatoes. This was very easy, very good, and very filling. I did not use bouillon cubes. Cooked on the stove this was a great Weight Watchers soup. Thanks
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (diced)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup green beans (diced)
- 1 cup potato (diced)
- 6 cups hot water
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot on high heat, Sauté the chicken, onions, and celery in olive oil until chicken if browned and onions are translucent, (if using the crock-pot, uses a skillet for this step).
- For Stove top: Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup comes to a medium boil reduce heat to a simmer.
- Soup should just gently bubble from here on out.
- After 30 minute do a taste test of the broth add additional spices to your taste.
- simmer for an additional hour then test vegetables for doneness.
- For Crock-Pot: Transfer ingredients from skillet and add remaining ingredients.
- Set crockpot on high for two hours then reduce to low.
- After 2 hours do a taste test of the broth add additional spices to your taste.
- Let simmer for an additional 4 hours.
- (Warning if you have a high powered crock-pot and the soup begins to boil to hard reduce the setting to warm if it has one, otherwise unplug your crock-pot for awhile).