Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe at MayoClinic.com and tweaked it a bit by adding my choice of herbs and seasonings, which adds a lot of zing to this otherwise ordinary recipe. This makes a very hearty dish and serves as a meal, accompanied with fruit juice or salad.
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed to tenderness or 1 cup spinach, wilted or 1 cup zucchini, cut into coins,steamed (or a combination of all of the above veggies)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celcius).
- Spray a small ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the polenta, water, garlic, and salt in the dish; ensure that there are no lumps.
- Bake uncovered for about 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, steam the desired vegetables.
- When polenta is done, top with 1 cup of vegetables.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, season with herbs and spices, and serve hot.
I have had this in my recipe box for a while. It was tasty and quite easy. It did need a lot more salt then called for. I thought it was a tad bland, but had lots of possibilities. We used broccoli and fresh parmesean.