Recipe by Hungry Dave
This is very healthy low cal soup that will fill you and warm you on a cold day . Shredded chicken breast or spicy sausage are optional .
Top Review by Annacia
Great lentil soup. I made a 1/2 recipe as there are just 2 of us and packed most of it into 4 freezer bags to have ready on demand. Since I'm not a huge corn fan I did skip that but really loved the jalapeno addition. Very high yum factor. Made for PAC, Spring 2014.
- 14 ounces green lentils
- 1 large onion
- 2 red peppers (or green or both )
- 4 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 -4 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen )
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups chicken or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1 . Chop onion , carrots , celery and red peppers into 1/4 inches pieces . Cut jalapenos in half and remove seeds then mince with the garlic .
- 2 . In a large sauce pan heat olive oil on medium heat . Add onion , carrots , celery , red peppers and jalapeno with garlic . Stir fry till slightly soft . Add the lentils , corn , broth , chili powder , cumin , oregano ,salt and pepper . Bring to a boil stirring often . Cover and reduce heat . Simmer till lentils are soft and vegetables tender , approx 40 minutes . Season to taste . For thicker soup , add a few cups to a blender or food processor .
- 3 . Serve with French bread or baguette .