1 hr 20 mins
Taken from Tampa Bay Metro Magazine March 2007 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -1 1/2 medium celery rib, sliced
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 ounces frozen sliced okra, thawed (about 2 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 4 ounces canned fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh shrimp or 1 lb frozen peeled medium raw shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice or 1 cup white rice
- 1Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Cook the flour for 1 to 1.5 minutes or until beginning to turn off-white, stirring constantly. Do not overcook.
- 3Transfer to a plate.
- 4Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pot and swirl to coat the bottom.
- 5Cook the onion, bell pepper, and celery for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Stir in the undrained tomatoes, okra, 10 1/2 oz. broth, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and thyme.
- 7In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining broth and the reserved flour.
- 8Cover and shake until completely blended.
- 9Stir into the tomato mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 11Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, or until the okra is very tender and the mixture has thickened, stirring frequently.
- 12Stir in the shrimp.
- 13Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Stir in 1 tablespoons oil, salt, and hot pepper sauce.
- 16Let stand for at least 15 minutes.
- 17Discard the bay leaves.
- 18Meanwhile, prepare the rice using the package directions.
- 19To serve, spoon the rice into soup bowls.
- 20Ladle the gumbo over the rice.
- 21The flavor will improve if the gumbo is refrigerated overnight.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Healthy Shrimp Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 95.5 mg
- Sodium 773.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 14.1 g