Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 1 1/3 c. serving: 292 calories, 3.6 g fat, 15.5 g protein, 52.3 g carb, 14.7 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3⁄4 cup instant brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Let the oil get heated in a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, celery, carrot, and garlic; stir/saute for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add in broth, water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in lentils; simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in red pepper, salt, and black pepper (adjust amounts to taste).