Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a much played with recipe. I like a nice hearty, chunky soup. Lucky me, that I hadn't posted this one yet when the RSC #9 ingredients list was revealed. Because this already had 5 ingredients from it! My work was done for entry #1. This became my most popular recipe in the contest. Spot 6 when sorted by rating. Hope you try it and love it too! **Several reviewers have used broth in place of the water which will give you a more intense flavor...The reason I didn't have it in the ingredients is because most onion soup mixes have beef bouillon in them.**
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 6 cups water, more to desired consistency
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh carrot, sliced
- 1 cup white potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- garlic salt, to taste
- shredded parmesan cheese, to serve
- sour cream, to serve
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large pot. Drain if needed.
- Add spices and onion soup mix.
- Stir in water, tomato sauce and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients up to the potatoes bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until potatoes and carrots are tender about 30 minutes. (Add more water if needed).
- Season to taste with garlic salt.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese and sour cream.
I made this soup today for Sunday Dinner and it was delicious!!! I followed the recipe to the tee with some minor changes. Instead of six cups of water, I used four cups of beef broth and two cups of water. Using the beef broth cuts down on the amount of salt and seasonings. Oh, and I left out the celery. I don't like celery so, I used green bell pepper instead. This will definitely be my go to soup recipe for the Winter!
Another one to go in the tried and true folder. Great soup. The first bowl I had I added the parmesan cheese. The second bowl I used mozzarella.The third bowl I used both! All very delicious. Highly recommended. Don't forget to use the garlic salt.
LOVED this recipe! However, I tweaked a bit. I subbed the hamburger meat with lean ground turkey (always do). Instead of adding any water at all, I put in 4 cups of beef stock and 2-3 cups of Clamato tomato juice--the juice was the magical ingredient here! I also added 3 cloves of minced garlic, red pepper chili flakes and a bit of cayenne to pack on a little heat! And then when it came to serving time I chose the healthier route and topped with Greek yogurt. This soup was SO full of flavor, my family loved it. I will definitely make again! :)