Recipe by Engrossed
This is a much played with recipe. I like a nice hearty, chunky soup. Lucky me, that I hadn't posted this one yet when the RSC #9 ingredients list was revealed. Because this already had 5 ingredients from it! My work was done for entry #1. This became my most popular recipe in the contest. Spot 6 when sorted by rating. Hope you try it and love it too! **Several reviewers have used broth in place of the water which will give you a more intense flavor...The reason I didn't have it in the ingredients is because most onion soup mixes have beef bouillon in them.**
Top Review by shaun71
I made this soup today for Sunday Dinner and it was delicious!!! I followed the recipe to the tee with some minor changes. Instead of six cups of water, I used four cups of beef broth and two cups of water. Using the beef broth cuts down on the amount of salt and seasonings. Oh, and I left out the celery. I don't like celery so, I used green bell pepper instead. This will definitely be my go to soup recipe for the Winter!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 6 cups water, more to desired consistency
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh carrot, sliced
- 1 cup white potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- garlic salt, to taste
- shredded parmesan cheese, to serve
- sour cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large pot. Drain if needed.
- Add spices and onion soup mix.
- Stir in water, tomato sauce and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients up to the potatoes bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until potatoes and carrots are tender about 30 minutes. (Add more water if needed).
- Season to taste with garlic salt.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese and sour cream.