Recipe by bert
This is one of those quick and easy soups that are delicious and healthy, as well. This recipe came from one of my Canadian Living magazines and I have always had success with it.
- 1 cup uncooked pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red peppers or 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed ham
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta until al dente (tender but firm).
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions until softened.
- Add stock, carrots, garlic, sweet pepper and zucchini; bring to a simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta, tomatoes, ham, beans, chick peas, and the rest of ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.