Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of those quick and easy soups that are delicious and healthy, as well. This recipe came from one of my Canadian Living magazines and I have always had success with it.
- 1 cup uncooked pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red peppers or 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed ham
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper
- Cook pasta until al dente (tender but firm).
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions until softened.
- Add stock, carrots, garlic, sweet pepper and zucchini; bring to a simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta, tomatoes, ham, beans, chick peas, and the rest of ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.