Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Gooseberry Patch The Cozy Home Cookbook
Make and share this Hearty Ham and Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄4 cup dried black beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried red beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried pinto bean
- 1⁄4 cup dried navy beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1⁄4 cup great northern bean
- 1⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 1⁄4 cup dried split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 lb ham, cooked and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (Rotel)
- Sort and wash beans; place beans in a large Dutch oven.
- Cover with water 2 inches above beans; let soak overnight.
- Drain beans; add 2 quarts fresh water, ham, onion, garlic, and salt to the pot with the beans.
- Cover and bring to a boil; decrease heat and simmer 1 ½ hours OR until beans are tender.
- Add tomatoes with liquid; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.