Cook1 hr 5 mins
------This is real comfort food with lots of flavor to warm you on a cold winter day. Enjoy it with some crusty bread and/or a salad. The ingredient list is long, but the preparation is easy!------
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 new white potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fennel bulbs, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- Saute the onion, celery and ground beef in 1 T of Olive Oil until the beef is brown and the onion transparent. Pour off grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, (use less salt if the broth is not low sodium,) cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-2 hours.
Like other respondents, I did not have fennel. So my rating is based on that. Very little flavor. If you are looking for a flavorful, hearty soup, try the Two Old Queens soup recipe on recipezaar.
This was great. Made as written, but I didn't have any fennel.