Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe from the September/October 2003 issue of Simple and Delicious Magazine back when it was called Quick Cooking. Submitted by Catherine Brennan
- 12 slices dark rye bread
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices cooked ham
- 6 slices fully cooked turkey
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- On six slices of bread, layer one slice of American cheese, Swiss cheese, ham and turkey.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Butter outsides of bread.
- Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toast sandwiches on a hot griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Serve with cheese sauce.