Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is actually a very hearty vegetarian stew. Serve up a bowl on a cold blistery winter day. Add a chunk of hot sweet corn bread and you've got a good meal!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Brown onion in shortening.
- Add water, tomatoes, green peppers, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and cook until soft, but not overcooked and mushy.
- Combine flour with a small amount warm water.
- Add just enough of the flour mixture to vegetables to thicken.