These are healthy pancakes, applesauce takes the place of oil. Whole wheat flour, cream of wheat, golden raisins and walnuts adds lots of fiber. The recipe comes from Cooking Light.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked farina (such as cream of wheat)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- maple syrup, to serve
- Combine flours, farina, sugar, soda, baking powder, salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine milk, applesauce,and egg in a medium bowl, stirring until well blended.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until well combined; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick grill or skillet over medium heat;coat pan with cooking spray; Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle; SPRINKLE with 2 teaspoons raisins and 2 teaspoons nuts.
- Cook 1 minute or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; carefully turn over, cook 1 minute or until bottoms are lightly browned; Repeat; Serve with maple syrup.
These pancakes are delicious! I wanted to use some farina I had on hand, and this recipe is perfect for that. I used pecans instead of walnuts and added 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to the batter. I used a mixture of butter/oil instead of applesauce. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.
This was one of the nicest pancake recipes I've made. I used some oil instead of the applesauce and butter in the pan for my hubby. I skipped the raisins and used pecan pieces. Thanks!
We loved these! My husband is not a fan of whole wheat pancakes but he gave these a big thumbs up. :-)These were just sweet enough and I loved the texure from the farina. I left out the raisins and I used pecans instead of walnuts and Splenda for the sugar. So yummy and healthy!