Recipe by MamaJ
This is a delicious recipe I found on Epicurious. It is best made a day ahead and re-heated. If it gets too thick, dilute with water to desired consistency. Posted for ZWT4.
Top Review by morgainegeiser
This was delicious, my Russian client and I made this and the apartment smelled great and the broth had a great flavor, had it for lunch with a chunk of brown bread and it was great. Made for ZWT4 family favorites.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 lbs stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons paprika (preferably Hungarian sweet*)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 5 cups beef broth
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed in 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot saute bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Brown meat over med/high heat in bacon fat.
- Cook in batches if necessary to brown, rather than steam.
- Reduce heat to medium and add oil.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, until soft and golden.
- Stir in paprika, caraway seeds, and flour and cook, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in vinegar and tomato paste; cook, 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water, salt, bell peppers, bacon, and stew meat and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Simmer soup, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes to soup and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.