Recipe by BecR
Great hearty rib-sticking meal for breakfast, lunch or supper! Very popular in my household. This is a versatile one-pan recipe-- you can sub or add ingredients as desired-- try ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, or chives. (Note: For an equally delicious simplified version of Bauernfruhstuck using frozen Potatoes O'Brien, please see my Easy Bauernfruhstuck (German Farmer's Breakfast Skillet)). Delicious! P.S. Any leftovers you have make a wonderful breakfast the next day--reheat a few seconds in the microwave (although I've been known to eat this cold), and serve with toast or stuff into a flour tortilla for a quick breakfast on-the-go.
Top Review by chris
My DH loved this! Reminded us of cold October mornings in Munich. The only things I changed was to use olive oil instead of bacon fat and black forest ham instead of bacon. Served it with hearty black rye bread with jam. Delicious!
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3 large potatoes, cooked and cubed (slightly undercooked)
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over low heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; add potatoes, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Stir in eggs and milk, and cook and stir until eggs are almost set, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and bacon, stirring gently until heated through and eggs are set.
- Serve immediately.
- Leftovers are tasty the following day. Good wrapped in a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito, breakfast on the go.
- Serves 4 to 6.