Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great hearty rib-sticking meal for breakfast, lunch or supper! Very popular in my household. This is a versatile one-pan recipe-- you can sub or add ingredients as desired-- try ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, or chives. (Note: For an equally delicious simplified version of Bauernfruhstuck using frozen Potatoes O'Brien, please see my Easy Bauernfruhstuck (German Farmer's Breakfast Skillet)). Delicious! P.S. Any leftovers you have make a wonderful breakfast the next day--reheat a few seconds in the microwave (although I've been known to eat this cold), and serve with toast or stuff into a flour tortilla for a quick breakfast on-the-go.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3 large potatoes, cooked and cubed (slightly undercooked)
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- In a skillet over low heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; add potatoes, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Stir in eggs and milk, and cook and stir until eggs are almost set, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and bacon, stirring gently until heated through and eggs are set.
- Serve immediately.
- Leftovers are tasty the following day. Good wrapped in a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito, breakfast on the go.
- Serves 4 to 6.
My DH loved this! Reminded us of cold October mornings in Munich. The only things I changed was to use olive oil instead of bacon fat and black forest ham instead of bacon. Served it with hearty black rye bread with jam. Delicious!
Delicious!! I cut the red potatoes into slices--extra thin and browned in the bacon drippings, then layered in the other ingredients (adding slice mushrooms. EXCELLENT dinner with Pillsbury Grands for the Breakfast Anytime Event in Cooking Photos!
What a great recipe! I used leftover baked potatoes.. no green peppers.. half the bacon.. and added some ham and green onion because I needed to use them up. It made an excellent dinner!