1/3 Photos of Hearty German Farmer's Breakfast (Bauernfruhstuck)
Great hearty rib-sticking meal for breakfast, lunch or supper! Very popular in my household. This is a versatile one-pan recipe-- you can sub or add ingredients as desired-- try ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, or chives. (Note: For an equally delicious simplified version of Bauernfruhstuck using frozen Potatoes O'Brien, please see my Easy Bauernfruhstuck (German Farmer's Breakfast Skillet)). Delicious! P.S. Any leftovers you have make a wonderful breakfast the next day--reheat a few seconds in the microwave (although I've been known to eat this cold), and serve with toast or stuff into a flour tortilla for a quick breakfast on-the-go.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a skillet over low heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; add potatoes, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until the potatoes are golden brown.
- 2Stir in eggs and milk, and cook and stir until eggs are almost set, about 2 minutes.
- 3Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and bacon, stirring gently until heated through and eggs are set.
- 4Serve immediately.
- 5Leftovers are tasty the following day. Good wrapped in a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito, breakfast on the go.
- 6Serves 4 to 6.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty German Farmer's Breakfast (Bauernfruhstuck)
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.7
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 289.3 mg
- Sodium 231.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 17.1 g