Recipe by keen5
There are other potato soups at Zaar, but none the same as this one. This is a hearty, comforting soup with Italian sausage, carrots and a garlic kick. Prep and cook time are approximate.
Top Review by Chef Saskatchewan Bound
Thia was an excellent tasting soup. The change was I used Jimmy Dean bulk sausage instead of the Italian. I was afraid the seasonongs in the Italian would over power the soup's other seasonings and since garlic was already used, it probably didn't need any more.
Try this soup. A keeper for sure!
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, carrot and garlic in a Dutch oven and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Place 3 cups potato mixture in a bowl and mash.
- Set aside mashed potatoes and remaining potato mixture.
- In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In a soup kettle, melt butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk while stirring.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- Add the parsley, salt, bouillon, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add the mashed potato mixture; cook and stir until heated through.
- Add the reserved potato and sausage mixtures.
- Heat through.