I love garlic soup with onions and potatoes! That being said; I don't like the flavor of the fennel fronds or the fennel bulb. However, am printing this the way I found it, with a few tweaks here & there.The sugar snap peas were nice and fresh and gave the dish a wonderful flavor! BHG online.It's just that I am with the Cubans, they don't like licorice either!
My Private Note
side di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped (or 2 spring garlic bulbs, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, quartered
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly slivered (fronds reserved, if using, we didn't use)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh snipped fennel leaves (we subbed with parsley)
- plain yogurt (optional) or sour cream
- olive oil (optional)
- 1In a large saucepan cook garli and a pinch or two of crushed red peppers in 2 tablespoons hot oil over medium heat for 1 minute; remove garlic.
- 2Add onion and cook until tender.
- 3Add potatoes, chicken broth, and water.
- 4Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 5Cook, covered, 15 to 18 minutes, or until potatoes are tende; cool soup slightly.
- 6Using a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth; return to saucepan.
- 7Add fennel and peas.
- 8Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 9Simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- 10Stir in salt and pepper.
- 11Top with fennel fronds.
- 12Spoon on yogurt and drizzle with olive oil.
- 13Makes 8 side-dish servings or 4 main-dish servings.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Garlic and Snap Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.7
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 388.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: