Recipe by PickleLover
This is my own recipe i came up with for chili, combining what i thought was the best parts of several standard recipes. This has good flavor but is not for those who like a thin chili or one with lots of veggies. This is a thick hearty version that relies more on seasonings than chili peppers, though if you really like them you can certainly add them in, especially if you like your chili really spicy. I'd say this is more of a medium spiciness that suits my tastes. Don't let the long list throw you off, it's mostly things that are easy to keep on hand :) Hope you enjoy it :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth (or 1.5 cups water and recommended amount bullion)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 (16 ounce) canschili style beans (not drained, the kind that comes in seasonings)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or pinto or kidney, whatever kind of bean you prefer to use in yours)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional, to add extra spiciness)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet just until browned.
- Transfer the beef and onions to either a crock pot or a large pot on the stove.
- Add all of the liquid ingredients then all of the spices and stir together. If you think you need or like a little more liquid add a little bit of water, use your judgment on the amount of liquid, it should cover the beans and beef easily but not be overly soupy.
- Cook covered over low heat on the stove for at least an hour or two, stirring gently every 20 minutes or so, OR cook in a crock pot on low for about 6 hours.
- Let sit off the heat for about 15 minutes and serve with some crackers or bread and some shredded cheese. Enjoy! :).