1/1 Photo of Hearty Curried Chicken Bowl
This can either be called a soup or stew, it is very thick and best served as a main meal with crusty bread, it makes a wonderful quick hearty meal on a cool day --- if you prefer a thinner consistancy then reduce the flour a few tablespoons, if you are watching your fat intake pass this one by as there is 3/4 cup butter required for this, if you reduce the flour then reduce the butter to the same amount, adjust the red pepper flakes and curry to suit taste, we like extreme spice so I use about 3 teaspoons chili flakes --- prep time does not include cooking the rice or chicken :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter (yes 3/4 cup!) or 3/4 cup margarine (yes 3/4 cup!)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to suit heat level)
- 3 -4 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste, I like lots!)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice or 2 cups cooked cubed potatoes
- 1In a large saucepan heat butter over medium heat.
- 2Add in onion, pepper flakes carrots and celery; saute for about 4 minutes or until softened.
- 3Add in garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add in flour, seasoned salt and curry powder; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 5Add in evaporated milk and chicken broth; bring to a boil stirring constantly until heated through and thickened (about 2-3 minutes).Season with fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- 6Add in cooked chicken and rice or potatoes; stir until heated through.
- 7Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Curried Chicken Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 82.7 mg
- Sodium 662.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: