Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I found online, but altered slightly to my own taste. This is an awesome soup for a cold winter day. Fresh baked bread goes well with this soup and it's hearty enough to serve for dinner.
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped finely. or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 21 1⁄2 ounces cream of tomato soup
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 32 ounces stewed tomatoes
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft and translucent.
- Add basil, paprika, and creme cheese.
- Cook until creamy, stirring constantly so as not to burn the paprika.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir vigorously with a whisk.
- Heat to desired temperature and serve.
The ingredients, proportions and directions for this soup are almost identical to the one a co-worker recently brought to a soup potluck at work. The only difference is that she used 2 (8 oz) cans of condensed tomato soup and 2 undrained cans of diced tomatoes. Everything else was the same. I was going to post her recipe because I loved it when she brought it to work and so many people asked for the recipe that she typed it out and left a stack of copies in the staff lounge for everyone. The taste of the basil really came through and the soup has a nice, thick texture. I will definitely be making this recipe. It was wonderful! Thanks!
Wonderful! I used one can of stewed tomatoes and one can of diced tomatoes. I increased the basil, and added in some Italian Seasoning, Onion Powder, and a little Garlic Pepper. I served this with Turkey-Bacon Tortilla Wraps for supper last night. Even my husband, who isn't much of a soup person, enjoyed this soup. I'll be making this again... thanks for sharing!